The City of Ballarat as the declared waterway manager for Lake Wendouree, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic). For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Rowing Victoria, persons and vessels involved in the Ballarat Schools Rowing Regatta, are exempt from the following:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of another vessel – applies to competing vessels and official and rescue vessels; and
2. Clause 3(a) – 5 knots within 50 meters of the water’s edge – applies to competing vessels and official and rescue vessels
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
3. Clause 42.1 of Schedule 42 – 5 knot speed restriction to vessels equipped with engines – applies to official vessels and rescue vessels
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
1. Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from items 1–3 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety.
2. Masters of official vessels are exempt from items 1–3 only when following competing vessels in a race or at conclusion of a race returning to the start line for the next race and must not exceed 10 knots.
3. All vessel masters and occupants of non-competition vessels must wear a personal flotation device at all times during the event and vessels must have all prescribed safety equipment, including official and rescue vessels.
4. The exemptions apply from 6am to 6pm on Saturday 3 November 2018 within the exclusion zone waters – whole of Lake Wendouree.
5. The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.